Monday, September 9, 2013

Yours Truly


Let's talk about Ariana Grande. You know her name.  You know her laugh. You know her gorgeous smile. But do you know her voice? 

Star of Nickelodeon’s hit shows Victorious and Sam and Cat, Ariana Grande has become almost a household name. But her superb acting isn’t the only thing she’s known for.

We got our first taste of Ariana’s chops in the Victorious episode, “Freak the Freak Out”, and I recall comparing her voice to Christina Aguilera and Mariah Carey. Now, I’m here to take back my words. Homegirl is in a league of her own.

When she released her multi-platinum single, The Way featuring Mac Miller, she took the world by storm and blew us all away. But if her performance on Freak the Freak Out was just a taste, The Way was an appetizer, and her new album, “Yours Truly” is the entire 5 course meal.

With catchy beats, an homage to my favorite musical Wicked, and a breathtaking ballad with The Wanted’s Nathan Sykes, I’ve come to see that Yours Truly is one of my favorite albums of the year: right up there with DEMI by Demi Lovato, Paramore by Paramore, and Nothing To Lose by Emblem3.






Tracklist:
1.Honeymoon Avenue 5:39
2.Baby I 3:17
3.Right There (featuring Big Sean) 4:07
4.Tattooed Heart 3:14
5.Lovin’ It 3:00
6.Piano 3:54
7.Daydreamin’ 3:31
8.The Way (featuring Mac Miller) 3:47
9.You’ll Never Know 3:34
10.Almost Is Never Enough (featuring Nathan Sykes of The Wanted) 5:27
  11.Popular Song (Feat. MIKA) 3:20
  12.Better Left Unsaid 3:31


As part of my review, I am going to highlight my favorite songs with a brief description of how they make me feel along with a favorite lyric.
Honeymoon Avenue
Favorite lyric: “They say only fools fall in love/ Well they must’ve been talking about us”
Baby I
This song can make even the biggest introvert (ME) want to get up and dance until they can’t dance anymore. This is definitely an everyday favorite of mine (Shower song!).
Favorite lyric: “Baby I’ve been feeling you/before I even knew what feelings were about”
Right There
Favorite lyric: “Never has it been so easy/To be in love and to give you this heart of mine”
Tattooed Heart
I actually prefer Ari’s voice in ballads. This is one of my favorites simply because it is a ballad, and the soul inside of her voice truly shines in this song.
Favorite lyric: “It doesn’t have to be forever/Just as long as I’m the name on your tattooed heart”
Lovin’ It
Favorite lyric: “Boy you change the way I breathe/When you put your lips on me”
Piano
Favorite lyric: “And I could sing about Cupid and his shooting arrow/In the end you’ll find out that my heart was battered”
Daydreamin
Favorite lyric: “Now I can’t wait to hold you in my arms/I know I was made for you/I’m in love with all your charm”
The Way
This song really blew me away. Not only are her vocals out of this world fabulous on the track, but I actually got to see Ari perform The Way live on Ellen, and she’s an even better performer in person. So I am a bit biased about this song because I’ve seen it live.
Favorite lyric: “I got a bad boy I must admit it/You got my heart don’t know how you did it/And I don’t care who sees it babe/I don’t wanna hide the way I feel when you’re next to me”
You’ll Never Know
This is the ultimate EFF-YOU song. With more class than Taylor Swift, Ari provides the song to play for a guy who expected you to wait around while he gets his sh** together. It’s catchy, lyrically brilliant, and her voice is amazing as always.
Favorite lyric: “If you woulda manned up/ put your hand up/Stand up/Tell me how you really felt/Maybe it’d be different/If you spoke I would’ve listened/but now I’m with somebody else”
Almost Is Never Enough
I love this song more than I should. It is hauntingly beautiful, and as I’ve mentioned before, I love Ariana’s voice in ballads. She’s so soulful, charismatic, and has such a sultry voice that you have to close your eyes to truly hear this song because the minute she begins singing, you won’t want to pay attention to anything else.
Favorite lyric: “We can deny it as much as we want/But in time our feelings will show/Sooner or later/We’ll wonder why we gave up/The truth is everyone knows/Almost is never enough”
Popular Song
I adore this one because the chorus pays an homage to the song “Popular” from Wicked. It’s catchy, and the featured artist really makes the song twice as amazing.
Favorite lyric: “Popular, I know about popular/And all that you have to do is be true to you/That’s all you ever need to know”
Better Left Unsaid
Favorite lyric: “I told you once ‘Get out of my life./ I don’t need ya, I’ll be alright’/But some things are better left unsaid”

So what are you waiting for? You should go buy Yours Truly ASAP. You won't be disappointed.
XOXO
-Jass <3
Yours Truly on iTunes
Yours Truly on Amazon

No comments:

Post a Comment